Bohemian waxwings, Jefferson county

Deborah Carstensen

Jan 15, 2023, 2:28:50 AM1/15/23
to Cobirds
There were several Bohemian waxwings, mixed in with cedar waxwings, hanging out at the top of tall cotton woods in the wheat Ridge Greenbelt area. I recognize them by their grayIsh abdomen, rusty under-tail coverts, and trill like high-pitched call.

If you go to the main entrance, park in the main parking area and cross the bridge that is right near the parking area, then go down a side trail to a chain-link fence. There are a lot of robins there, eating small, blackish berries. The wax wings tended to hang out at the top of the trees nearby, often displaying fly catching behavior. .
WHEW! I was afraid I would end up missing them during their stay here.

Deb Carstensen, Arapahoe county
Sent from my iPhone