Black Forest CBC

Hugh Kingery

Jan 13, 2022, 6:30:26 PM1/13/22
to cob...@googlegroups.com
The 51st Black Forest CBC, held on Jan. 2, recorded 40 species and 1,635 individual birds. Average number of the 51 counts: 35 species and 1608 birds. We had 21 observers in 8 parties, plus 7 feeder-watchers.
    I don't detect much of a pattern of high and low counts.
    We found fewer than average of some ponderosa species -- 49 Mtn. Chickadees (ave. 64) and 75 Pygmy Nuthatches (ave. 89), but more Steller's Jays (57 vs. 30). The 24 Red-tailed Hawks way above the average 10, but 7 Rough-leggeds cf. 10 average.

    Two invasive species dropped: Starling 94 (ave. 143); House Sparrow (2 vs. 23). Two increased: Rock Pigeon 74 vs. 25, Eur. Collared-Dove 32 vs. 6.

Hugh Kingery

Hugh Kingery

Jan 13, 2022, 6:33:56 PM1/13/22
to cob...@googlegroups.com
No one reacted to my description of a mystery flock that Urling and I saw. We watched about 100 small birds feeding on a brushy hillside. The birds in back kept flying over the front ones -- until they all took off for parts unknown. I thought they sounded like Rosy-finches, but Urling saw stripey breasts.

Do any of you have experience with flocking birds that act this way?

Hugh

Tim Mitzen

Jan 14, 2022, 1:49:05 PM1/14/22
to Colorado Birds
Hugh,
I have seen large mixed species Rosy Finch flocks on the brushy slopes of North Table Mountain here in Golden in winter feeding the way you described.  I'm not sure if other finches would do this too, but the "rolling over" of the back ones flying over the front ones as you described is my exact experience also.  It can make it surprisingly difficult to key in on getting views of the individuals.