Cassin's Vireo - Rocky Mtn Arsenal - Adams

JBreitsch - Denver

Aug 27, 2015, 11:28:39 AM8/27/15
to Colorado Birds
Intermittent light rain, warm

I am taking the day off from birding, so I only did a quick walk at the Arsenal this morning.  Birds of note:

Prairie Trail - Lark Bunting, Lazuli Bunting, large flocks of Clay-colored Sparrows, several other sparrow species.
Havana Ponds - Lesser Yellowlegs, many Killdeer, American Avocet, Rock Wren
Rod & Gun Club Trail - Here was where I had the Cassin's Vireo.  I found it when a Brown Thrasher flew into a bushy tree area and I followed it but was distracted by the motion of the vireo.  I had originally stopped at that particular spot because of the sounds of all the Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Eastern Kingbirds.  There were also Western Kingbirds, Wilson's Warblers, Western Wood-pewees, Blue Jays, a variety of woodpeckers, a Bullock's Oriole, and a Warbling Vireo.
Elsewhere on the way out I had a Loggerhead Shrike and an unidentified accipiter.  It was a nice selection.  Someday, I will learn how to properly take a day off.

John Breitsch
Denver, Colorado