September 2013 D.F.O. Fieldtrips -- Join Us!

Corvi...@aol.com

Sep 5, 2013, 3:10:43 PM9/5/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Denver Field Ornithologists
September 2013 Field Trips

Saturday, September 7
Eastern Plains Migrants (Eastern Plains)
Leader: Norm Lewis, aeriead...@aol.com

     Meet leader at 7 a.m. at the Park-n-Ride at 70th and Broadway.  Plan to carpool.
Jackson Reservoir in September can be one of the most outstanding shorebirding sites in Colorado.  We will visit the State Park (fee) and State Wildlife Area looking for a wide variety of shorebirds and fall migrant songbirds.  Full-day trip.  Bring lunch, water, snacks, sunscreen, insect repellent if you need it, and a scope if you have one.

Sunday, September 8
Chavez Trail and Beaver Brook Braille Trail (Jefferson County)
Leader: Paul Slingsby, 303-422-3728, paslingsby@ comcast.net

This will be a half-day trip.  Meet at the lower end of the Stegosaurus Park-n-Ride at 6:45 a.m.  We will carpool from there, leaving at 7:00 a.m. sharp.  From I-70, exit 259, turn left onto CO 26; drive under I-70 and look for the Park-n-Ride on your left.  We will carpool 6 miles to the trailhead.  This will be a slow walk of about 3 miles on smooth but steep Denver Mountain Parks trails with some short unmaintained paths.  We will visit an aspen forest and some ponderosa/Douglas-fir forest with a small spring-fed creek.  Many mountain species will still be present and some (e.g., Townsend’s Solitaires) may have gathered in numbers.  Aspen may have begun to change into their fall colors.

September 14–15

Fall Bird Counts

Thursday, September 19
Rocky Mountain National Park (Larimer County)
Leader: Chris Owens, home 303-72-6048, cell 970-481- 7271, chri...@q.com
Please register with the leader if you plan to participate.

Saturday, September 21
Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County)
Leader: Dave Rhoades, 303-424-8633

Saturday, September 21
Barr Lake State Park (Adams County)
Leaders: Tammy and Ira Sanders, 303-278-7172

Sunday, September 22
Lair o’ the Bear (Jefferson County)
Leader: Lois Levinson, 303-908-3403

Saturday, September 28
Eastern Boulder County (Boulder County)
Leader: Mike Serruto, 720-581-2711

Scheduled by Candice Johnson

Submitted by            Chris A. Blakeslee - DFO Member
                              Centennial, Colorado
                              Corvi...@aol.com