Cedar waxwings

Marcia Wade - Lafayette, Boulder County

Jun 15, 2019, 7:40:33 AM6/15/19
to Colorado Birds
I just saw three cedar waxwings at Hecla Lake (6/13).  Two adults and a juvenile were in a half-dead tree on east end of lake.  The juvenile is the first one I saw, and I thought it was an adult until another, bigger waxwing flew into the tree and started feeding it, soon joined by another adult.  Much to my delight I got pictures - I've been looking for those birds since I first saw them here two years ago at my feeders.  Also at Hecla tonight, the great blue heron pair is now sitting on eggs.  Isn't it a little late for them to just be starting a family??  Their nest is on a platform on a small island in the lake, and for some reason there also is a big white egg on the gravel at the west end of the island.  It cannot be the GBHs' unless the female flew down and laid it there (and I think it's too big, too) - it cannot have fallen there b/c it's too far away from platform.  The only thing I can think of is one of the pelicans is having another shot at it (they abandoned 6 eggs nearby earlier this season).  I hope the GBHs succeed in raising their brood - the bald eagles here have been wreaking havoc on the smaller birds' nests, and I understand they will attack GBHs; recently two were observed ripping a red winged blackbird nest out of a tree onto the gound and eating and/or flying away with the nestlings.