Common Loon and Greater Yellowlegs on Baseline Reservoir today

Jeff Parks

Mar 29, 2017, 5:48:49 PM3/29/17
to Colorado Birds
Hi all -

I stopped by Baseline Reservoir outside of Boulder a couple of times today while I was running some errands.  Right after lunch, about 12:30, I saw two Greater Yellowlegs working the shallows on the south end.  The other usual suspects were there, a bunch of Hooded Mergansers, some Bufflehead and Goldeneye and a few Ruddy Duck and Green Winged Teal..  On my way home this afternoon, around 2:45, I saw a big bird swimming around on the north end.  Pulled out the binoculars, and it was a Common Loon, in breeding colors. Had to pull out the scope for a really good look, even though it was not too far out.  The white bands on the side of the neck clearly had vertical black stripes, and the back was a nice checkered pattern,  black over white.  Dark brown head, large dark beak.   On the way past the west side, I saw a Horned Grebe and a big flock of Crows - approximately 50  - working the sandy beaches and perching in the trees.

Good  birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder