Rufous Hummingbirds out of season (according to the bird book)

adria...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2016, 2:43:45 PM8/5/16
to Colorado Birds
I have had rufous hummingbirds all summer at my feeder. According to the book, these guys are only here in migration. I'm not sure how many, or if they're nesting. I've seen at least two males and a female, all adults.

adria...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2016, 4:27:47 PM8/5/16
to Colorado Birds
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I love in Mancos, Colorado

Joe Roller

Aug 5, 2016, 6:51:19 PM8/5/16
to adria...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Thanks for your report, Adrian!
I checked eBird records for that coppery, pugnacious "dyno-mite," and "the book" is almost correct.
There are a few records in June from Mancos and the Durango area, and a few for early July, plus
many records for mid and late July, of course.

The book is absolutely correct if you consider that for Rufous Hummingbirds, migration south
can begin in June and early July. So I suppose the book refers to the hummers' southward migration season,
not the usual autumn months many birders think of when you mention "fall migration."

Your report is valuable! Do you have specific dates in June when it visited at your feeder? If so, please
submit your observations to eBird. Birders near you can coach you if you are not yet "an eBirder."

Joe Roller, Denver

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 12:56 PM, <adria...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I love in Mancos, Colorado

Karl Stecher Jr.

Aug 6, 2016, 1:26:42 AM8/6/16
to adria...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Who are you and where do you live?

Aug 6, 2016, 12:14:23 PM8/6/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com, mesab...@gmail.com
You are correct, Rufous H. do not nest here, but they are in migration and males come to La Plata Ct. (etc.) as early as the end of June.  They have finished their breeding tasks in BC and Alaska, and the males migrate first.
I run a hummingbird monitoring project at Mesa Verde NP, and we banded about 25 Rufous hummers on Wed.--males, females and juveniles.
If you are ever interested in seeing our project, let me know!
Jane
Durango
PS  did you record the date you first had Rufous at your feeders?  We are always interested in the first arrival date.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I love in Mancos, Colorado

Jane Pedersen

Scott

Aug 6, 2016, 5:45:24 PM8/6/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
When we are seeing Rufous Hummingbirds in Colorado they are already on
the southern migration as they nest north and west of Colorado

Scott Rashid

Estes Park