Lucy's Warbler still present (Weld) and Lesser Nighthawk

Nick Komar

May 12, 2015, 11:18:12 PM5/12/15
to cobirds
David Wade and I searched for almost 2 hrs before spotting the Lucy's Warbler adjacent to the office/shop building at Eaton Cemetery at 7:53 pm this evening. Other goodies present were the continuing Red-eyed Vireo, Cassin's Kingbird, Common Poorwill, Broad-winged Hawk and best of all, a nighthawk. I believe it was a Lesser Nighthawk. Here is the description I included in eBird:

Flew through cemetery at 8:19 pm headed north towards tilled field. Bird seemed small for a nighthawk and its narrow wings were less pointed than Common Nighthawk. It flew slowly with erratic flight path about 25 feet above ground (way below treetops which 60-80 feet), only about 30 feet from us. Appeared in silhouette (backlit) which may explain lack of noticeable white wing patches, or a female which lacks bright white patches. It was silent. Within last 2 weeks I have observed 2 CONI and about 50 LENI (in Arizona) and this bird matched my experience with LENI.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO

Sent from my iPhone