10-15K Sandhill Cranes

mvjo...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2018, 3:24:31 PM3/7/18
to Colorado Birds
Hi all:

I have been visiting the Monte Vista Refuge Daily, and my current estimate is that 10 to 15 thousand Sandhill Cranes are in and around the Monte Vista Refuge. Because many fields are open for feeding, there are many birds scattered around the San Luis Valley, bumping those numbers considerably. Drive some of the county roads around the refuge for closer looks.

Plenty of Cackling Geese, the Hybrid Goose, and one WF Goose are in the area, though no white geese have been seen. Sage Thrashers are just filtering into the area, and I have not heard recently whether the Rosy-finches are still in at Hostettlers.

It is Crane Festival Weekend and weather looks good. See some of you there!

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO