Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Chico Basin Ranch, 9/27/19

Robert Snowden

Sep 27, 2019, 7:30:36 PM9/27/19
to Colorado Birds
While it was another fairly breezy morning at here, the northerly wind direction made a big difference compared to yesterday. Not only were most nets more sheltered, but the wind direction was more favorable for the migrants, and so things were rather productive. I banded 52 new birds and had 2 recaptures, of 11 total species. Those numbers could've been a lot higher but I was on my own and had to limit net hours somewhat––there were a lot of birds around!

The most unique capture was a young male Western Palm Warbler, only the second fall banding record here (the first was back in 2009)! Otherwise, it was extremely thrushy, with a steady stream of Hermit Thrushes throughout the morning. Sparrows were active as well, especially the White-crowneds, and we had our first Mountain subspecies of the season.

Today's summary:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6 + 1 recapture
Wilson's Warbler 4
Orange-crowned Warbler 3
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon 2
Pink-sided Junco, 1
Palm Warbler, Western 1 (FOS)
Lincoln's Sparrow 6
Hermit Thrush 18
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 6
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 1 (FOS)
Song Sparrow 1
Spotted Towhee 3
Brown Thrasher 1 recapture

We are open 6 days a week, closed on Sundays. Tomorrow we're opening nets at 6:50 AM and closing at 11:50 AM, weather permitting. Come visit!

Robert Snowden
Bander, Chico Basin Ranch
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies