Heron rookery I-25

Natalie P.

Feb 10, 2018, 9:22:40 AM2/10/18
to Colorado Birds
I saw someone standing directly underneath the heron rookery off I-25 in Fort Collins this week, taking photos. I was under the impression that property was off limits, and that being directly underneath the trees might disturb the nesting birds? Does anyone know?

-Natalie

Deb Evers

Feb 11, 2018, 2:56:11 PM2/11/18
to Colorado Birds
Hopefully, the birds "blessed" that person wholeheartedly!

dril...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2018, 5:25:14 PM2/12/18
to Colorado Birds
Natalie,

I don't know anything about the ownership of that property but you are correct that standing underneath the trees, especially so early in the nesting season, does disturb the birds and cause them to abandon the colony. So to all of you photographers, please pull out your long lenses and keep a respectful distance from nesting birds.

Nancy Drilling
ColonyWatch coordinator
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies