Costa's Hummingbird GONE?

Duane Nelson

Sep 18, 2021, 11:25:48 AM9/18/21
to Colorado Birds
Birders,

The immature male Costa's Hummingbird in my yard since September 10th
appears to have left, after a nine-day visit. This morning at 7:08, it
took a really long drink from one of the feeders, flew up to a perch,
and returned to my other feeder for another long drink at 7:12. I
haven't seen it since. I just spent an hour outside specifically looking
for it, and did not see it. My one remaining Black-chinned Hummingbird
fed unmolested two times around 9 a.m., something that was not common
during the Costa's reign.

I'm trying to get this out before others make the long drive to Las
Animas from practically anywhere.

I've had a great time hosting approximately 60 visitors over the past
nine days, and promise I got as much out of the experience as I gave. I
met new friends, and got to share something special with many people.
I'd highly recommend hosting a rare bird.

I won't update again unless the bird returns.

Thanks, everyone!

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO