Purple vs. Cassin's Finches

Duane Nelson

Oct 27, 2020, 3:57:17 PM10/27/20
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Birders,

I believe that Chris Petrizzo's finch is a Purple Finch.

I had the good fortune to photograph both Purple and Cassin's Finches on my feeder in Las Animas, Bent County, CO on 2/28/15. For a long time, I kept seeing one extralimital finch that I confidently identified as a Purple Finch, only to doubt myself when I saw one that looked more like a Cassin's. Finally, both cooperated and appeared at my feeder at the same time. I got to reclaim my sanity card.

The Purple Finch is on the left and the Cassin's finch is on the right. Note that the Purple Finch has a shorter bill with a decurved culmen, while the Cassin's Finch has a pointed, longer, conical beak. The ear coverts on the Purple Finch are uniformly dark, and outlined much more boldly by a pale border. I also think the Purple finch has a rounder head, looks stockier, and appears to have a shorter tail. The breast streaks are bolder and more defined in the Purple Finch. Out of sight in this picture are the undertail coverts, immaculately white in a Purple Finch, and finely streaked in a Cassin's Finch.

I hope this is useful to Colorado birders.

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO

Susan Rosine

Oct 28, 2020, 9:24:45 PM10/28/20
to Colorado Birds
What a FANTASTIC comparison picture! Thanks for sharing!
I saw the female Purple today in Broomfield. What a treat; used to see them all the time when I lived in Western WA.
Susan Rosine
Brighton, Adams county

maca...@aol.com

Oct 29, 2020, 12:35:13 AM10/29/20
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Duane Nelson, thanks for that pic and your description.

I have no photos, but based on this thread and Duane's description, I'm now convinced that what I had identified as a female Cassin's Finch on 10/25-27 in our back yard was actually a Purple. Present 3 days but only for very brief visits--it seemed extra skittish. I originally identified it 10/25 (and posted to ebird that day and again the 26th) as a female Cassin's; I edited those reports tonight, because I do remember thinking on the 25th that it must be a partially leucistic Cassin's due to unexpectedly greater & distinctive white (in eyebrow & malar) surrounding the brown cheeks.

I didn't even think of Purple, not being too familiar with them. Was not able to get photos. Seeing the thread about Purple Finches (vs Cassin's) on COBirds today made me reconsider--especially Duane's contribution, with his photo.

Marty Wolf
NW Colorado Springs

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c4153723-75d5-4b5e-a41c-80c5170eaa83o%40googlegroups.com.