Swainson's Hawk Pair - Arapahoe

Jared Del Rosso

Apr 27, 2021, 5:38:16 PM4/27/21
to Colorado Birds
Like magic or a miracle (from my limited vantage), Swainson's Hawks return to the deKoevend Park area in Centennial, CO (Arapahoe County) every spring and seem to immediately pair up. Yesterday, I had my first sightings of the bird this year -- but I have not been birding, so they were likely here sooner. I was drawn outside by two enormous shadows over my chicken coops. The pair was riding a thermal together over my and my neighbors' yards. Today, the two shared one of the massive transmission towers that runs behind a street away from me, screeching and surveying the area together. (These towers are scheduled to be replaced with even larger ones. I'm not sure if / how that will eventually change hawk use of the towers.)

What a privilege to share a portion of a life and a portion of land with these birds.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO