Raptor Alley (and an eagle show)/Weld

The Nunn Guy

Feb 14, 2022, 12:33:59 PM2/14/22
to Colorado Birds
Hi all

I led the Colorado State University Field Ornithology group out on our annual Raptor Alley trip together on Saturday. ZERO wind again-three weekends in a row now! Hoping for a 4th weekend of no wind with Cheyenne Audubon group this Saturday. ;-)

Total of 48 raptors for our Saturday efforts:
  • Northern Harrier - 5
  • Ferruginous Hawk - 10 (includes a group of five on the ground positioning themselves over a Prairie Dog kill ... cool! ... including the local dark morph)
  • Bald Eagle - 9 (including all of us bearing witness to one of our local pair "doing the hokey-pokey") :-)
  • Red-tailed Hawk - 8
  • Rough-legged Hawk - 6 (including local dark morph)
  • American Kestrel - 7
  • Prairie Falcon - 2
Some of us got to hear Lapland Longspur flyover treat.

The "other" Bald Eagle show on Sunday was nine Bald Eagle on the 35th Ave west gravel pond ice jockeying for a fresh Canada Goose kill. First six photos here: https://www.friendsofthepawneegrassland.org/albums/view/65/35th-ave-gravel-pit-ponds-nw-greeley

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn