Wood Thrush and Eastern Wood-Pewee, Logan County

Steven Mlodinow

Jul 19, 2015, 7:36:58 PM7/19/15
to Colorado Birding
This AM, before sunrise, David Dowell, Chris Rurik and I started walking w from hwy 55 (=385?). Not far from the road we heard a Wood Thrush off towards the river. It sang for 5+ minutes. Then, about 300-400 yards w of the hwy, along the road, we heard and saw an Eastern Wood-Pewee (recorded as well). It seemed pegged to a relatively small area on both sides of the road. It also was hanging out with a silent pewee that looked much like a Western and fed two young!!!

At the pond near the maintenance/ranger's station (well e of 55), we had one of the Green Herons seen yesterday and a likely migrant Least Flycatcher. Many Field Sparrows (5) were heard here but not elsewhere at Tamarack

Other highlights include a RB Grosbeak (female) near the E Wood Pewee and a eastern YB Chat near the pond. Plenty of Bells Vireos are still singing in Wood Thrush/Pewee area.

Note that we had nearly 30 singing towhees. Of those that we could track down (about 10) -- ALL WERE HYBRIDS (eastern x spotted)

At Red Lion there were 14 shorebird species, tho no SB Dowitcher. A goodly variety of dabblers as well. Jumbo Res was mostly a yawn.

Good Birding
Steve Mlodinow
Longmont CO

Sent from my iPhone