Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, Sloan's Lake, Denver

Matthew Baker

Oct 27, 2014, 6:31:51 PM10/27/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I had the day off today and when the sun finally poked out I took a ride around the lake.

I was shocked to flush a gray-crowned rosy-finch from the side of the trail on the far SW side of the lake. The bird sat in a nearby low tree for a few minutes, then flew back to the grass between the paved trail and the 'single-track' trail (ie. dirt trail for bikes). I watched for 10 minutes from within 25' while the bird fed.

The bird was a 1st winter female according to Sibley. Beautiful pink feathers shined in the sun... that, the fall colours, the grey skies... a great sight!

eBird says that's a first for Denver CO, so that's got to be a great bird for Sloan's! (#127)

-Matthew Baker
Denver, CO