Boulder County Mountains

William H Kaempfer

Feb 16, 2014, 11:23:02 AM2/16/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Alex Brown, Ted Floyd and I went to Ward Saturday morning to survey as a part of the Boulder County Nature Associations Indian Peaks Winter Count and the GBBC.  The weather, contrary to forecast, was pretty good.  In Ward we had small flocks of Brown-capped Rosy Finches and Evening Grosbeaks at the “lower Ward” feeders.  Across from the Old Depot in “upper Ward” there were a few Pine Siskins and there were Clark’s Nutcrackers all about.  We drove to the Brainard Lake Road gate where Ted pished in a large flock of Mt. Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creepers and over a dozen Pine Grosbeaks.

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder

Ted Floyd

Feb 16, 2014, 10:44:15 PM2/16/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
An addendum, if I may, to Bill Kaempfer's post.

Bill mentioned the flock of Pine Grosbeaks, Brown Creepers, Mountain Chickadees, and Red-breasted Nuthatches. You can hear all the species in that flock here: http://xeno-canto.org/167550 (The Pine Grosbeaks sing the bright cheery, low-pitched, warbling songs.)

Also, here's a recording of an interesting Gray-headed Junco song we heard in Ward: http://xeno-canto.org/167551

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado