Jaeger at Boyd Lake -Larimer

Nicholas Komar

Aug 29, 2023, 8:37:06 AM8/29/23
to COBIRDS
A juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger just flew over Boyd Lake swim beach. Seems to be hanging around.

Nick Komar
Paul Gordy

Kyle Carlsen

Aug 30, 2023, 10:30:20 AM8/30/23
to Nicholas Komar, COBIRDS
Visible now, flying/circling, straight out from swim beach.

Kyle Carlsen

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 29, 2023, at 6:37 AM, Nicholas Komar <quet...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> A juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger just flew over Boyd Lake swim beach. Seems to be hanging around.
>
> Nick Komar
> Paul Gordy

> * All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
> * Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/8712889E-3EB8-4686-8918-FCB77DD9FA52%40comcast.net.

Thomas Heinrich

Aug 30, 2023, 10:57:14 AM8/30/23
to Nicholas Komar, COBIRDS
Still here. Flying along west shore at north end near last parking area
8:56

Thomas Heinrich
Boulder, CO
Nyc...@aol.com

> On Aug 29, 2023, at 6:37 AM, Nicholas Komar <quet...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> A juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger just flew over Boyd Lake swim beach. Seems to be hanging around.
>
> Nick Komar
> Paul Gordy

Nicholas Komar

Sep 1, 2023, 4:43:15 PM9/1/23
to COBIRDS, Andy Bankert
I’m very pleased that there are now 40 reports of the juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger from Boyd Lake in eBird. Reviewing images I see now that this bird is not a dark morph but rather a darker intermediate morph based on the extensive white spotting and barring on the underwing and undertail coverts. For example see images in this checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S148409085

And a plug for submitting rare bird reports. Once I logged in to the Colorado Bird Records Committee website (accessed via Cobirds.org), I selected “Submit eBird Checklist”. The process took about 5 minutes.

By the way the last Long-tailed Jaeger reported to eBird from Boyd Lake was an adult in mid-September 2014, found by Andy Bankert.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins