Red-headed & Lewis's Woodpeckers, Hayman Burn, S. Jefferson County

Corvi...@aol.com

Jun 4, 2014, 12:43:02 AM6/4/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
COBIRDERS,
     Thursday, May 29th, I took a quick look at the north end of the Hayman Burn (June 2002) area just north of Cheesman Reservoir, Jefferson County.  I found 4 Lewis's Woodpeckers along Forest Road 211 from Wigwam Creek to the turnoff to Cheesman at the top of the hill, and then farther west on F.R. 560 (Stoney Pass Road) I found 4 Red-headed Woodpeckers.

     This is the 8th season I have found these two species in the area, and I have found them nesting almost every year.  They will be there until at least September.  Two years ago I had 5 territories for the Lewis's.  There are 6 other species of woodpeckers and numerous other species of birds that can be found in this region.

     The last two or three years there have been Western Meadowlarks in the area.  I missed the meadowlarks on Thursday; I confirmed nesting of the meadowlarks two years ago.  The fire turned much of the area into a big meadow...

Enjoy, Chris

Chris Blakeslee
Centennial, CO
Corvi...@aol.com