Greater Prairie Chicken / Yuma county

ยอดดู 126 ครั้ง
ข้ามไปที่ข้อความที่ยังไม่อ่านรายการแรก

Dave Cameron

ยังไม่อ่าน,
20 มี.ค. 2559 18:24:3420/3/59
ถึง Colorado Birds
Deb and I went to the non-private GPC lek on CR45 North of Wray yesterday afternoon (5ish) to scope out its location for this morning. The directions to it were precise and accurate. Satisfied with that, we were naturally even happier to see some chickens at that hour. There were 3 on the ridge where the lek is, and we had a near-direct flyover of 9 more on their way there. If all we wanted was the list-tick, we could've turned around for home. Ah, but those displays....

Up and out by 5 this morning, we were positioned, dark and quiet, to enjoy the display by 5:35. Billions of stars in the pitch dark, eerily quiet in the windless morning, this is an awesome place to be, even lacking our purpose. It was 17 degrees. Zero snow anywhere on the ground out there right now. Coyotes started howling before 6. Then nothing. Sky gradually lightened. More coyotes. 6:15. A Mourning Dove. Then, at 6:20, the air filled with the sound of Greater Prairie Chickens, loud and non-stop. Finally, after 15 or 20 minutes of listening to them, they started to pop up, climb up, and skulk out. As the morning grew brighter, the early sun on the birds highlighted their air sacs and eye combs. No violent interaction that we could see, just lots of ritual posturing and circling. Despite some early departures, several males carried on with it for over 2 hours. An amazing treat to see.

The other highlight of the trip was, among other raptors, 8 Ferruginous Hawks in Washington County yesterday on the way there, and one more this morning on the way home. Last Chance was dead, except for House Sparrows, Collared Doves, and Red-winged Blackbirds.

Dave Cameron
Denver

Kerry Hargrove

ยังไม่อ่าน,
21 มี.ค. 2559 18:23:0221/3/59
ถึง Colorado Birds
Hi Dave,
Could you provide me with information regarding this "non private" lek if you have time? The only info I can find on this area is that all of them are on private property and to try your luck from the roads. I'd appreciate it as I'd love to grab this lifer finally.

Thank you so much,

Kerry Hargrove
Thornton

Kerry.h...@gmail.com
if you don't want to flood this thread. 😊

Dave Cameron

ยังไม่อ่าน,
24 มี.ค. 2559 20:22:1124/3/59
ถึง Colorado Birds
We found the directions in this link: http://www.coloradobirdingsociety.net/grouse.htm

To re-word it in my own words, drive 9.9 miles N of the cobblestone inn in Wray to CR 45 and turn right. This is a dirt road full of loose cattle, so drive slowly in the dark. Drive 1.6 to 1.7 mi. If you scope it out the day before in the daylight, the directions in the above link work great. But you'll never see the windmill in the dark. Just past an 'intersection' with another dirt road on the right, park just before the crest of the hill and look back WSW. Find the large broadcast towers in the distance. Just left and below the one flashing white is the lek, up on a ridge. Well to the right of the tower flashing red.

The birds were quite vocal, and will make it obvious once you're in that vicinity.

Dave Cameron
Denver

ตอบทุกคน
ตอบกลับผู้สร้าง