Winter Birding – Northern Wildlife Area, Arapahoe County

Karen Strong

Dec 24, 2019, 8:21:26 AM12/24/19
to Colorado Birds

Yesterday morning David Suddjian and I birded the peaceful South Platte River area south of Reynolds Park. The sky was consistently active, with many groups of geese (Cackling & Canada) and ducks (Northern Shoveler & Mallard) passing overhead.  The river also had some nice action – highlights being a group of 17 Greater Scaup (mostly males), the steadfast Mallards - including one displaying male, and a beautiful bright male American Wigeon.  Several Killdeer working the rocky spits in the river were also a welcome sight, as I hadn’t seen any in quite a while.  The willows and woods were relatively quiet, as expected for this time of year.  2 Northern Flickers chasing each other in circles around the trees spiced things up, as did 3 Hairy Woodpeckers – a male & female Rocky Mountains ssp and a male intergrade.  Black-capped Chickadees & White-breasted Nuthatches provided excellent company, calling & whistling as they defied gravity while working the trees overhead.  Back in the car and about to leave, a Say’s Phoebe popped up at the side of the parking lot to perch on some tall weeds to forage, then moved on to a nearby fence line & disappeared.  I really enjoy birding this time of year.  The relative sparseness of birds makes me appreciate what birds I do encounter with the delight of running into old friends.

Karen Strong

Lakewood