Lake Henry sandpiper

Joey Kellner

Oct 7, 2022, 4:17:47 PM10/7/22
to Cobirds

COBIRDERS,

I’ve attached a number of photos showing different views/angles of the PURPLE/ROCK SANDPIPER.  The very pale underwings and thick, white upperwing seem consistent with Rock Sandpiper (however I do not know about immature plumages of Purple Sandpiper).  The bill and leg color and the overall face pattern look better for Purple Sandpiper.

Purple Sandpiper is more likely distribution-wise, but “birds have wings”.

Perhaps someone can forward the below link to Paul Lehmann since he has extensive experience with Rock Sandpipers in juv. and imm. Plumages.

Below is the link…you all can view and consult various references.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S120137387

Joey Kellner

Littleton, Colorado

  (oo)

   ) )        _

  ( (        ( '<

   ) )       // )

  ( (       / ""

    ) )

   ( (

Joey Kellner

Oct 7, 2022, 4:39:40 PM10/7/22
to Colorado Birds
As for bill color, I defer to someone familiar with young Rock Sandpipers to determine if the extent and coloration is in the norm for that species or if this would indicate a Purple Sandpiper instead.

Joey.

Joey Kellner
Littleton, Colorado

Nicholas Komar

Oct 7, 2022, 6:26:58 PM10/7/22
to Joey Kellner, Cobirds
I think the yellowish legs and pale gray color of the nape along with the pale underwings favor Rock Sandpiper. If accepted as such by the Colorado Bird Records Committee,,I believe this would be new for the Colorado State list. Nice catch Joey. Future observers should obtain audio recordings as well as they may support the identification.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins
On Oct 7, 2022, at 1:47 PM, Joey Kellner <vir...@comcast.net> wrote:

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/01a201d8da89%24cdf2b640%2469d822c0%24%40comcast.net.

Arthur Bezuidenhout

Oct 7, 2022, 6:42:33 PM10/7/22
to Nicholas Komar, Joey Kellner, Cobirds
I disagree with Rock Sandpiper. There is far too much bright yellow (orange) on the bill and the legs are brighter than any photos of Rock Sandpipers I have seen. This bird looks like Purple Sandpipers I have seen in the UK..Also, Rock Sandpipers have  more markings below.
Bez Bezuidenhout
Aurora, Co.

--
[0,0]
|)__)
-”-”-

Sebastian Patti

Oct 7, 2022, 7:06:30 PM10/7/22
to Nicholas Komar, Joey Kellner, Cobirds
Given the international "reach" of these two species, this is a perfect topic for ID-Frontiers, in my opinion . . .

sebasti...@hotmail.com
Sebastian T. Patti
552 W. Belden Ave.
Chicago, ILLINOIS 60614-3354
Oct 7, 2022, 8:39:31 PM10/7/22
to Colorado Birds
I have found photos of rock sandpiper with very orange bills.

The left phot in the first row is only one that shows very orange

Norman Erthal

Rachel Kolokoff Hopper

Oct 7, 2022, 9:00:58 PM10/7/22
to Norm Erthal, COBIRDS
Comments from Kevin Zimmer (VENT tour leader & currently in Alaska) who sees both species annually. For the record, I agree with Kevin and believe the bird to be a Purple sandpiper and not Rock Sandpiper for all the reasons he mentions below.

Hi Rachel -  I'm in Alaska right now, getting ready to start a Ross's Gull migration tour.  Without even looking at plumage characters, which vary greatly from one subspecies of Rock Sandpiper to another, I would say your bird is a Purple Sandpiper, based strictly on the distinctly orange legs/feet and base to the bill.  Every Rock Sandpiper that I've seen in winter plumage has dull greenish bare parts, nothing like the rather bright orange-yellow of your bird, which does match Purple Sandpiper.  I think Purples are a lot more prone to long distance vagrancy too -- I've seen them on the Texas coast.

Kevin Zimmer

Sent from my iPhone
Follow me on iNaturalist:
Rachel Kolokoff Hopper
Ft. Collins

On Oct 7, 2022, at 6:39 PM, Norm Erthal <norman...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have found photos of rock sandpiper with very orange bills.
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate

Evan Carlson

Oct 7, 2022, 11:22:31 PM10/7/22
to Joey Kellner, Colorado Birds
Compare the Lake Henry bird to these photos of
Rock Sandpiper: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/312705731

In my opinion, its wing stripe looks better for Purple. But I have basically no experience with either species. Like most of us, I'm waiting for the experts to look at the photos.

Evan Carlson
Pueblo

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate

Joey Kellner

Oct 8, 2022, 6:58:27 AM10/8/22
to Colorado Birds

And just to stir the pot a bit, here photos taken by Mark Peterson of the same bird the previous day (when it was found), under very different lighting conditions (bright and sunny, vs my photo under overcast).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hZ68W3KL3ja64z1EA

 Again, thank you Mark!

Joey.

Joey Kellner

Littleton, Colorado

Rachel Kolokoff Hopper

Oct 8, 2022, 1:17:07 PM10/8/22
to COBIRDS

For those not familiar with Kevin Zimmer as an expert here is his Bio:

Kevin has a PhD in biology (research emphasis in Avian Evolutionary Ecology) from New Mexico State University, and is a Research Associate of the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, an elective member of the American Ornithologists’ Society (AOS), and a member of the A.O.S. South American Classification Committee (SACC). He formerly served two terms on the American Birding Association (ABA) Check-list Committee, and is a regular contributor to Cornell’s Macaulay Library of Natural Sounds. He has authored numerous technical papers on the taxonomy, distribution, and behavior of Neotropical birds, particularly those of the Amazon Basin. In 2003 he completed (with co-author Mort Isler) the major chapter on the Thamnophilidae (antbirds) for the prestigious Handbook of Birds of the World series. In 2006, he and Curtis Marantz coauthored a six-CD compilation of Bird Voices of Alta Floresta and Southeastern Amazonian Brazil (produced by the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology’s Macaulay Library of Natural Sounds) that represents the most comprehensive set of commercially available bird recordings for any part of the Amazon Basin. He and Andrew Whittaker are currently at work on a comprehensive field guide to the birds of Brazil, to be published by Princeton University Press. Kevin Zimmer has authored three books and numerous papers dealing with field identification and bird-finding in North America. His book, Birding in the American West: A Handbook, deals with finding and identifying birds in the western United States. Living in Alaska contributed to his affection for the Far North, where he has anchored VENT’s tour program since 1986. For the past 25+ years he has concentrated his attention on the Neotropics, particularly on Brazil, Costa Rica, Panama, Peru, and Venezuela. He has directed VENT’s Brazil program since 1991. In the past decade, he has rekindled a love affair with the birds and wildlife of Africa, an interest that began as a young boy (watching Marlin Perkins on Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom), but which blossomed with his first trip to Kenya in 1987 and leading several tours there through 1998. Following his return to Africa after a hiatus of more than a decade, his yearly tours to Africa have taken him to Tanzania, Uganda, and Ethiopia.

Kevin lives in Atascadero, California with his wife.

Timothy Barksdale

Oct 9, 2022, 4:18:20 PM10/9/22
to Colorado Birds
Thank you for those. The smudgy dark underwings visible on several of the flight shots are consistent with Purple Sandpiper. Every field mark now points directly to this identification.

Tim  Barksdale