New Yardbird - Western Kingbird - at my Little Townhouse Yard in west Centennial, Arapahoe County

kevyg...@aol.com

Jul 18, 2023, 10:24:10 AM7/18/23
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fellow Birders,

   I awoke ~ 7:30 this morning to a curiously melodic whirring sound wafting in the open bedroom windows.  There was also an occasional chatter that I have heard  before somewhere else but I couldn't peg it.  Looking up into the leaves of the 60-foot aspens just outside the window I could see bits of bright yellow near the top.  I put Merlin on the task and he didn't respond to the whirring, but the first chatter he heard he identifed as Western Kingbird.  Once he told me that I recognized it as well, the fact that it was 'out of place' had kept me from identifying it.  What I had was a pair of Western Kingbirds feeding four fledglings!  Assuming they hadn't flown in from eastern Colorado I have to guess they'd been nesting somewhere close by, but I've never before seen or heard them in my little townhouse neighborhood 1/4 mile northwest of the intersection of Holly & Arapahoe.

Keep Smilin',
Kevin Corwin
west Centennial near Holly & Arapahoe

Sent from my Remington Rand Typewriter via my Rotary Dial Wall Phone