Adams & Denver County Today

Dan Stringer

Feb 28, 2016, 6:12:35 PM2/28/16
to Colorado Birds
The female Surf Scoter reported by JD Birchmeier was present on Lake Ladora this morning (Sunday the 28th) at 10:00 a.m. working the far east end near the shoreline.
Mr Birchmeier listed this as Denver County, I thought it was barely in Adams County, please correct me if necessary.

At Barr Lake I struck out looking for Rusty Blackbirds in the muck near the main water, on a beautiful day with almost no ice on the reservoir. Among the other ducks were nice numbers of Canvasbacks. Nothing else of note but large numbers of the usual suspects.

On Gun Club Road at 112th going south toward 100th I saw a Prairie Merlin on the West side of the road. Back up on 112th going east as it turns into 114th there was an adult Golden Eagle fairly high up, being harassed by a Red-tailed Hawk and a Northern Harrier, highest I'd seen a Harrier fly. I missed the reported (overwintering? or very early) Burrowing Owl near 114th & Trussville Road...again. Just south of 120th and Haynesmount Rd there was a posing Prairie Falcon. No Longspurs. No rough-legged Hawks which were sparse even earlier in the winter, compared to two years ago when they were abundant in this area.   I believe all of these spots I listed near DIA are inside the Denver County lines.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO