Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Banding Report, 10/20 and 10/21/23

meredith

Oct 21, 2023, 7:30:46 PM10/21/23
to Colorado Birds
As this unseasonably warm weather continues, banding remains very slow.  Only 3 birds banded yesterday (10/20):

Song Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco, Slate-colored  2

Today was slightly better, with 10 new birds banded.  We did have a nice return - we caught a Flicker that we banded as a hatch year in 2021.  We don't catch very many Flickers and I can't remember ever catching one again, even though they are around the station every season.  Here's today's breakdown:

Red-shafted Flicker 1, banded 2021
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 4
Dark-eyed Junco, Slate-colored 2
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon 2
Dark-eyed Junco, Pink-sided 1
American Goldfinch 1

Tomorrow is our last day; we will take down the station at the end of the morning.

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies