Some JeffCo birds, and one Arapahoe sighting

David Suddjian

Mar 26, 2014, 7:17:32 PM3/26/14
to Colorado Birds
Mar 22

CEDAR WAXWINGS had been regular near St. Mary Church the previous couple of days, but this date a flock of about 190 waxwings was many more than I'd seen otherwise this year.

Mar 24

At Ken Caryl Valley my 1st TURKEY VULTURE of the season was tilting into a cold north wind. Also newly arrived there were WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, and there were some nice flocks of MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS. I saw a FERRUGINOUS HAWK and 2 BALD EAGLES flying north. A SAY'S PHOEBE was at Mann Reservoir in South Valley Park.

Mar 25

A pair of WOOD DUCKS was on a small pond on Massey Draw in Ken Caryl Valley.

I walked up Waterton Canyon and had my first of season CANYON WRENS (5), and ROCK WREN (1), and WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS (4). I found AMERICAN DIPPERS at three areas between the Great Blue Heron and Mountain Lion rest areas, small flocks of BUSHTITS in a few spots, and one RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET.

At Ridge Road off Pleasant Run Road in the upper Deer Creek watershed I had 4 RED CROSSBILLS, 2 WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKERS, and a NORTHERN GOSHAWK. A pair of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS up there at 8,600' surprised me a little for March, but I'm not clear yet on the distribution of spring migrants and probably they are not unexpected there.

May 26

Early this morning a male and female BLUE-WINGED TEAL were at Mann Reservoir at South Valley Park.

David Suddjian
Littleton

Art Hudak

Mar 26, 2014, 9:47:36 PM3/26/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I am struggling. Troubled by this. Art Hudak, Denver County.

Tom Wilberding

Mar 27, 2014, 12:03:42 PM3/27/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to Colorado, David, and thanks for sharing your very helpful sightings and observations with COBirders.
Some birders are more skilled than others; they see more and hear more. That can be a bit frustrating at times for less-skilled birders (like me), but BRAVO to the pros!

Tom Wilberding
Boulder, CO