Gunnison Sage-Grouse Question

Mike

Aug 6, 2022, 5:08:58 PM8/6/22
to Colorado Birds
Hello,
I'll be visiting the Gunnison area later this month with my family (first time to Colorado), staying in Crested Butte. My son and I are interested in trying to look for a Gunnison Sage-Grouse during our time there. We know that these birds are probably quite difficult/impossible to see outside of the breeding period, and are aware of the importance of not disturbing them or their habitat.

We have looked at the general area on eBird where the grouse are found, but had a couple questions about looking for them:
1.  Which public roads or open access trails would at least be a possibility for seeing these birds?
2. Is early morning generally best for seeing them?

If it's best to contact me off of the public forum, you can contact me directly at mzwebby AT gmail.com.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Michael

mvjo...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2022, 3:37:48 PM8/7/22
to Colorado Birds
If it is on National Forest, then each Forest has what is called a MVUM, or Motor Vehicle Use Map. They are free at the FS office in Gunnison. They are also on line, but are hard to print and see due to small scale.

BLM, at least in the San Luis Valley also has motor vehicle use maps and they too are on line and easily printed. I would guess the BLM in Gunnison also has them on their website. Good luck!

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO
Retired US Forest Service

Mikele Painter

Aug 8, 2022, 8:09:41 PM8/8/22
to Colorado Birds
Paper maps are great, but if you want the digital version, here's the website for the GMUG (Grand Mesa - Uncompahgre - Gunnison National Forests) MVUMs: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/home/?cid=stelprdb5191814

Here's the contact info for the GMUG headquarters.. https://www.fs.usda.gov/contactus/gmug/about-forest/contactus

The digital maps are all georeferenced and useable on your phone or tablet with the Avenza map app, which is free for up to 3 maps at a time. Download the map you want before you go to the field and then it will be ready to use while you are offline out of cell range.

Mikele Painter
Lakewood

Kelly Ambler

Aug 9, 2022, 11:42:49 AM8/9/22
to Mikele Painter, Colorado Birds
It is also possible to load electronic versions of many USGS maps into Avenza. The latest versions may have a nominal fee for download but older versions are free.

Kelly Ambler,  Denver

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/2ab0cb46-930c-40b5-ae47-4cee295ec72bn%40googlegroups.com.