Northern goshawk Arapahoe County, late post

Deborah Carstensen

Jan 25, 2017, 12:52:30 AM1/25/17
to Cobirds
I had looked at a bird on Sunday and hadn't figured out what it was until I saw David Suddjian's post about a juvenile northern goshawk. A goshawk didn't occur to me at all and so I tried to make it into a juvenile Red tailed hawk although I wasn't the least bit satisfied with my assessment.

The bird flew low over the playground and then up onto a telephone pole. I didn't have good binoculars with me so I was looking through my tiny pair that I leave in the car. I had noticed a blue tinged back and wings with just a faint eyebrow and heavy markings on it's breast. I also noticed a heavy area of white undertail coverts that seemed very large for other hawks I had seen.

A red tailed hawk moved to the top of another telephone pole, about 30 yards away.
Anyway, I really appreciate David's post because it seemed so obvious after I realized that a goshawk was in the area that I slapped my forehead and said "doh"!
Deborah Carstensen, Arapahoe County
Located 1/2 mile south of Bowles on Platte Canyon Road.
Sent from my iPhone