Larimer and Weld County quickies

Josh Bruening

Feb 25, 2016, 8:06:08 PM2/25/16
to Colorado Birds
Hi all!

Just a few quick sighting notes.  Amidst my running around Fort Collins, Loveland, and Windsor I have seen the following birds the last two days (all repeats of previously posted birds):

2/24
Windsor Lake (noon:thirty)
Ross's Goose
Green-winged Teal (FOY for me.  They've been sneaky!)
Quite a few Common Mergs and Common Goldeneye
1-male Red-breasted Merganser
I didn't spend a whole lot of time scoping the gulls.  Ring-bills and Herrings for sure

Lake Loveland-water level extremely low
2-Lesser Black-backed Gulls
1-Thayer's Gull

2/25
Timnath Res-still 90% frozen around 3pm
picked out 1 Snow Goose out of the gabillion Canada's and Cacklers
Northern Pintails were well represented
Smattering of Scaup, Redheads and Canvasbacks

1520 W. Mountain Ave
1-Yellow-throated Warbler on my second try.  He appeared in the neighbor's tree to the west.  Boxelder maybe.  He was hanging with a couple of Am. Goldfinches.  He came down to the feeder after 3 Bushtits arrived with a Hairy Woodpecker.  He hung out for 10 minutes or so.  He was muttering these very soft "pit pit" calls.  The calls were strikingly more quiet than the Bushtits chips.  What a hearty bird!  One of my favorite warblers. Luke said that he had been around quite a bit yesterday and today.  Saw him somewhere around 4-410 this afternoon.

Bird is the word y'all!

Josh Bruening
Fort Collins