Downtown Denver Peregrine Falcons

Matthew Baker

Aug 29, 2016, 10:57:06 AM8/29/16
to Colorado Birds
All,

For the past year and a half I have seen a single peregrine falcon and the intersection of 17th and Lawrence, and sometimes as far up as the Wells Fargo building at 17th and Lincoln. This includes sightings in the dead of winter as well as spring.

Today I saw two birds flying above 17th street at Lawrence heading towards Broadway, but I lost track of them as I was walking up 17th.

Does anyone know if there are any nest boxes deployed downtown as other cities have done?

Anyone on this list who works downtown should keep an eye out in case they decide to nest!

-Matt Baker
Denver, CO

Greg Pasquariello

Aug 29, 2016, 11:08:16 AM8/29/16
to matt...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I'm not sure if there are nest boxes or not, but Peregrines have been on the Wells Fargo building (the "cash register") since at least 2004.  I used to have a contract with Newmont mining on 15 or 17th floor or something, and would see them daily.  Very cool to see peregrines at eye level!

-Greg Pasquariello
Highlands Ranch CO.

Regards
-Greg Pasquariello

Skype: gregpasq

Christy P

Aug 29, 2016, 11:08:16 AM8/29/16
to matt...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
There was a peregrine photographed from my office (by others) nearly five years ago. We are at 18th and California, 24th floor. No news of them nesting, but would be very interested to hear of that.

Karl Stecher Jr.

Aug 29, 2016, 4:59:01 PM8/29/16
to passe...@gmail.com, matt...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
I saw one sail by as I was on a high floor (17th?) at 16th and Stout in the late 1980s.

Karl Stecher
Centennial