Lark Bunting, Gilpin County

Brian Johnson

Aug 8, 2017, 7:30:06 PM8/8/17
to Colorado Birds
Today I deiced to explore Gilipn County some more and add to my life checklist. Rather than head over to Golden Gate state park I went exploring and found East Portal Trailhead. While that was an amazing walk what took the prize today was a LARK BUNTING between 8 or 9 thousand feet. I was rather surprised at this find and took a picture. This was not found at the trailhead but along the road, Tolland Road, county road 16, west of Rollinsvile. I found it in a meadow past the sign that warned of private property the next mile and a half, so you can't leave your car here. I first noticed a flock of mountain bluebirds and there on the fence was the lark bunting. A female was present but I could not photograph her. But I manged to photo the male, which I know was rare for the location. Here is my checklist for the road, the point I created was the meadow of the road where I saw the birds. Funny thing was I did not plan on creating a checklist here.

https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38548977

Brian Johnson,
Englewood Co