Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Barr Lake Station, 9/26/19

33 visningar

Meredith McBurney

oläst,
26 sep. 2019 20:25:222019-09-26
till Colorado Birds
This is a great time of year to see a nice variety of birds at the banding station!  We caught 15 species - our largest weighed in at 92.1 grams (Blue Jay); the smallest at 5.6 (Golden-crowned Kinglet).  There were 7 sparrow species, including both common towhees.  The GCKI deserves special mention because he was the most beautiful ever - an adult male with a huge patch of red surrounded by yellow on his crown.  Here's the breakdown of today's 30 new birds:

Blue Jay 2 (1 adult male and 1 hatch year of unknown sex. Caught together in the net.)
House Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Hermit Thrush 2
Gray Catbird 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 8
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Audubon's 1
Wilson's Warbler 2
Spotted Towhee 1
Green-tailed Towhee 3
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 3
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 2
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon 1

PLEASE NOTE the change in our schedule - we are now opening nets at 7:40 (an hour later) and should have birds back at the station by 8:20. We are open 6 days per week, Tuesday-Sunday, weather permitting, through October 13. We will close nets most days at 11:40, although we are closing earlier as needed due to the heat. School groups arrive most weekdays at about 9:30. The best time to visit (fewest people, most birds) is before 9:30 weekdays and Sundays.

Come visit!

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies