No Gyrfalcon today, Larimer

Dale Adams

Jan 16, 2020, 4:52:28 PM1/16/20
to Colorado Birds
Hi all,
We started looking for the Gyrfalcon this morning around 7:40 AM, but it was a pretty cold morning with the temperature starting at 16F and there wasn't much activity during the morning. Around noon as it got warmer several raptors started rising, including a few Red-tailed Hawks, a Northern Harrier, a Ferruginous Hawk and a couple Bald Eagles. Around 400 gulls finally showed up around 1:00 PM, including Thayer's, California, Lesser Black-backed, and Glaucous, and stayed for about an hour. But the Gyrfalcon never put in an appearance in the five and a half hours or so we looked for it.
Happy Birding!
Dale and Joel Adams
Fremont County