checklist compiler tool

Diana Beatty

Jan 11, 2021, 1:45:21 PM1/11/21
to COBIRDS

Hi all,
I saw a comment in the eBird Facebook group today that I thought might interest some of you.  It mentioned a tool (linked below), where you can put in the numbers from checklist URLs and it will compile them all together into a spreadsheet.
This could be used to compile data from an event like a bird count, convention, or road trip.  I haven't yet tried it myself.

Diana Beatty

El Paso County

Mel Goff

Jan 14, 2021, 1:54:37 PM1/14/21
to Diana Beatty, COBIRDS
Hi everyone.

I tried the tool Diana put on Cobirds in the message below. I used it to compile the checklists from the Big Day that Jeanne and I did on Kauai in 2014. The tool was just a little labor intensive to copy and paste all the checklist numbers into, but it worked perfectly. In fact, it worked so well that it found an additional species that I did not have on our original report that we put into the ABA Big Day list.

Thanks to Diana for providing this fun tool.

Mel Goff
Colorado Springs

Cinnamon Bergeron

Jan 14, 2021, 2:50:52 PM1/14/21
to Diana Beatty, Colorado Birds
Wow.  This looks pretty handy.  Thanks for sharing.

Cinnamon Bergeron

Hugh Kingery

Jan 15, 2021, 5:50:19 PM1/15/21
to cob...@googlegroups.com
You can also import lists to eBird from Excel by using the Import option. It requires that you:
   *  Use a Comma Separated Values file (when you open Excel files, go to the box after File Name which ordinarily says 'All Excel files' -- click -- and then click on the first line, "All files.")
    * Fill in the top 14 lines. (Leave Lines 2 & 3 blank; you don't have to fill in Line 14)
    * Have no blanks otherwise
    * Use this date format:  "11/14/2020 "
    * Start the bird list on Line 15.

It also allows you to enter several counts one one file.
I can send you a template if you would like.

I've used this for years (and for 1000s of checklists).

Hugh Kingery