Dead Finches-Larimer Co.

Mary France

Aug 31, 2013, 7:56:32 PM8/31/13
to Cobirds
I wanted to add that the dead Finches started showing up weeks before
the mosquito spraying in our area and continued after. I wash my
feeders with a bleach solution but, if others don't do that, diseases
could be spread in that manner.

I thank everyone for their info. If I find another dead bird, I'll get
it to Nick Komar.

Tom and Mary France
Fort Collins, CO

quet...@comcast.net

Aug 31, 2013, 8:58:12 PM8/31/13
to cob...@googlegroups.com

I will also add that over 300 species of North American birds have been fatally infected with West Nile virus over the last decade or so. Probably many more, but most dead birds are not tested. House Finches have been shown to have a high mortality rate (85% in one study). Crows and jays get more press because they are more useful for surveillance (house finches die from other causes as well, and are often overlooked). Not to take away from the point that insecticides can have non-target impacts, but these days if the insecticides registered for mosquito control are used according to the label specifications, direct negative effects on birds (and humans) should be negligible. The impact of the spray is designed to be beneficial for humans, and ultimately should be beneficial for any vertebrate species that is negatively affected by West Nile virus. Decisions to spray are taken very seriously, and with much caution. In fact, the delays caused by caution often reduce the beneficial impacts of the spray. It is a messy situation, and everyone means well. Thankfully, West Nile virus season is almost over this year here in Colorado, and we can get back to enjoying the birds without the use of mosquito repellant. If this post strayed from the purpose of Cobirds, my apologies to the moderator. My next post will be strictly about birds.

Nick Komar

Fort Collins CO

Karl Stecher Jr.

Aug 31, 2013, 9:42:15 PM8/31/13
to quet...@comcast.net, cob...@googlegroups.com
Some points -

Nick, I found dead at the outbreak of the last West Nile peak...mid-90s
(?)...mostly magpies. They are big and visible. Yet an even more
pronounced drop off was in black-capped chickadees. It took at least 3
years to approach normal numbers.
I most often found the magpies in my yard near or in my "watering hole"
(mostly for birds). So, Nick I wonder...is there any similarity when one
compares the brain effect of rabies with West Nile?

Karl Stecher
Centennial