Common Shelducks

mvjo...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2018, 5:28:36 PM7/11/18
to Colorado Birds
I was helping my wife Lisa with some shorebird surveys at Blanca Wetlands, when 4 strange ducks flew overhead. Snapped photos that were poor as the birds disappeared into the horizon. Half hour later, rounded a bend and there they were. This time the photos were better and we later keyed them out to be 4 adult Common Shelducks. These birds acted very wild at human presence.

Looked into R&A and saw no mention of these. Sibley says these exotics can show up about anywhere. So question for the group is...what is the status of this bird in our state?  Sure was an odd and unexpected sighting.   I wanted to mention this since Blanca Wetlands will soon be open (closed through July 15th then open) in case anyone might want to see them and other birds there. Some shorebirds like Baird's Stilt, and Western Sandpipers are there.

Also, in this drought we are having, I would ask you all to be careful in your observations of Snowy Plovers, some of which still have young and are being confined by ever-drying/shrinking wetlands this year. Seriously need the monsoons to bring us moisture.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO

Adam Johnson

Jul 12, 2018, 3:15:16 PM7/12/18
to Colorado Birds
Have you shared the photos somewhere?

Thanks,

Adam Johnson
Fort Collins

mvjo...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2018, 4:30:40 PM7/12/18
to Colorado Birds

Ted Floyd

Jul 13, 2018, 12:03:49 AM7/13/18
to Colorado Birds
Wow. That's fascinating, John. Thanks for sharing.

The Common Shelduck was recently added to the ABA Checklist, and a paper in North American Birds by Ned Brinkley documents the surge in recent years of records to North America.

Of course, the mind moves quickly to the possibility of escapes from captivity. But the open mind also entertains the possibility of natural vagrancy.

Thanks again!

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County