Owls and Bats

cou...@gojade.org

Jul 14, 2015, 9:28:03 AM7/14/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Took the family up to see the 200,000 Mexican Freetailed Bats at the Orient Mine near Villa Grove last week. Was surprised to find 2 Long-eared Owls frolicking in the entrance to the cave as evening approached. The bats put on a wondrous display as they headed out into the vast Valley. During the evening, they would consume more that 2 tons of insects.

Later, I did some reading and found a reference that stated that owls would in fact eat bats. Any young that would fall to the ground would be easy and accessible prey. I do not know if the owls nested there or were just staying there on an interim basis. Other birds there included Cordilleran Flycatcher, GT Towhee, and Rock Wren  (Saguache County).

There are 2 access points for the mine. One is from BLM trailhead (Black Canyon) and the other is from the Valley View Hot Springs, a clothing-optional establishment. You may encounter those folks along the trail.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO