Greeley CBC Section H Results

The "Nunn Guy"

Dec 29, 2014, 11:40:22 AM12/29/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

If I remember correctly overall Greeley CBC had 76 species, ~20,000 birds.  Section H (my group had north half, Doug Kibbe group had southern) is bounded by O St  on north, Hwy 34 on south, 23rd Ave on east and 59th Ave on west, we had 54 species total with the following highlights:

Interesting story of the day for me was around dusk went to my Ferruginous Hawk stakeout on F St (he finally showed up in EXACT tree expected) then I proceeded west past Dog Park and before 59th Ave to old Great Blue Heron roost area along Poudre River Trail to try for Eastern Screech Owl.  I played my iPod a few times and got one to appear.  All of a sudden while looking at him I noticed "black blobs" in tallest cottonwoods nearby ... thought "what the h--- are they?", got out scope saw they were turkeys started watching and counting ... 6, 12, 18 and finally 27.  Quite an experience for me--they were at the very top of the tallest cottonwoods (2).

Eastern Screech Owl - 6 (Platte and Poudre Rivers)
Wild Turkey - 27
Common Redpoll - 2 (along Reservoir Road I believe)
Adult dark-morph Ross's Goose x "Canada" Goose - 1
Greater White-fronted Goose - 1
Snow Goose - 9
Mute Swan - 2
Wilson's Snipe - 1