Eagles, Herons and ebird codes. Longmont Area (Weld & Boulder)

Todd Deininger

Feb 19, 2017, 2:40:39 PM2/19/17
to co-birds
I saw 20 eagles today SW and SE of Longmont. 2 were immature Golden Eagles and 13 were immature Bald Eagles.  Two of the adult BE were perched on their nest. Also, at two different heronries  I had multiple Great Blue Herons perched in their nests.

What breeding code, if any is this?

Also, Tundra Swans are still at Walden Ponds (Boulder).

--
Todd Deininger
Longmont, CO

Joe Roller

Feb 19, 2017, 3:57:24 PM2/19/17
to Todd Deininger, co-birds
Todd, I am not an expert at this, but found 3 codes to consider:

Please let me know what the experts say.

ON   Occupied nest is the highest code to consider      I am going by your observation  "perched ON THEIR NEST"   Nest from last year?

or
N (probable)     visiting probable nest site

or
P (probable)     pair in suitable habitat

Thanks for the chance to revisit breeding codes.
Best personal regards,

Joe Roller

Jim Nelson

Feb 20, 2017, 10:00:56 AM2/20/17
to co-birds
Todd,

I agree with the earlier response that which code to use depends on the circumstances.

Here is how eBird defines several possibly applicable codes:

ON Confirmed--Occupied Nest -- Occupied nest presumed by parent entering and remaining, exchanging incubation duties, etc.  (Could be true for the Bald Eagles if they appear to be staying in the nest.  The recently published Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas lists January 1 as the beginning of the safe dates for Bald Eagle, and we do have two Bald Eagle pairs with eggs here in the District of Columbia.  Great Blue Heron safe dates start March 15.)

NB Confirmed/Probable--Nest Building -- Nest building at apparent nest site (should not be used for certain wrens, and other species that build dummy nests).  (This would apply if you see either species bringing nest materials or otherwise appearing to rehab a previous nest.)

N Probable--Visiting probable Nest site -- Visiting repeatedly probable nest site (primarily hole nesters).  (This would apply if they aren’t actively building but are visiting.  It sounds like this would require more than one observation at the same nest site.)

Jim Nelson
Bethesda, Maryland