McClain Pit, Douglas

Hugh Kingery

Oct 29, 2021, 6:59:49 PM10/29/21
to dougl...@googlegroups.com, cob...@googlegroups.com
This afternoon Urling and I spent an hour checking bluebird boxes on the Winkler Ranch (inexplicably called "Castlewood Canyon Road, Lake Gulch north" on eBird). We counted two magpies. Period.

Then we went to McClain Pit, on Castlewood Canyon Road; you can see its birds in late afternoon light -- on mid-day, sunny days you can't ID the birds because of the reflected light.

And -- a reward! We watched a juvenile Snow Goose swim by and haul up on shore so that we could see all its field marks. The lake also had about 100 ducks, mostly Lesser Scaup, some Buffleheads and Ring-necked, and two Canvasbacks.

Hugh