Fremont county --- Chestnut-collared Longspur and Black-throated Sparrow, 3/7/2016

Mark Peterson

Mar 7, 2016, 11:25:07 PM3/7/16
to Cobirds
COBirders,

I had a couple of hours this morning while down in Fremont county to do a little birding.  For the most part it was very slow, I suspect the wind was partly to blame and partly do to the fact that I was in semi-desert habitat most of the time.  South of Florence out on County Road 19 on the backside of the Federal Prison I was able to find a rather early (although I was not too surprised given all the other things that seem to be showing up a little early this year) BLACK-THROATED SPARROW.  I MIGHT have heard a second but the wind was making it difficult to tell for sure.

The real surprise for me though, was a CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR in the same location.  I have been "birding" in Fremont county for 30+ years and that is the first one I have ever had in the county.  It seemed to prefer to stay along the edge of the road only venturing a few yards at most on occasion.

Other than a handful of PINE SISKINs and HORNED LARKs I had nothing else in the area while I was there.  I also went by a couple of other spots that host Black-throated Sparrows but I was unable to locate any.

-----
Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs