Aurora Res (Arapahoe) Loons

Steven Mlodinow

Dec 29, 2019, 6:44:34 PM12/29/19
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Greetings All

The photo of a loon identified as a Pacific at Aurora Res earlier this week looked likely to be a photo of a RT Loon.

So, I went out to look today and found 4 Common Loons and a YB Loon. I assumed the YB Loon to be the same as seen there early in December. The earlier bird was enormous, even in comparison to a COLO and had little or no "ear spot". Today's bird was marginally larger than nearby COLO and had a moderately prominent ear spot. Both had nice fringing to back feathers, so bird in both sightings was a youngster

Otherwise, nothing markedly rare a Aurora Reservoir. 5 Lesser BB Gulls and 5 Thayer's Gulls were nice, but no Glaucous Gulls or other less common gulls.

Good Birding
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO