Black Grosbeak and Apparently Breeding Chipping Sparrows in west Centennial, Arapahoe County

kevyg...@aol.com

Jul 22, 2018, 4:07:54 PM7/22/18
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fellow Birders,

   A Black Grosbeak has been hitting the cup of peanut pieces in my little townhouse yard in west Centennial, near Holly & Arapahoe.  I'm guessing it's a first year bird, though I can't tell them apart from adult females.

   Also, I started seeing an adult Chipping Sparrow (never saw two) around my yard in early- to mid-June.  About 2 weeks ago I observed it several times in my front lawn and each time it was collecting small insects.  It would then fly up into a large silver maple tree.  About a week ago I watched it collect bits of seed from under the feeders.  It then flew into a dense crab-apple tree from which a din of chips then erupted - it was feeding fledgling(s).  A few days ago I started seeing Chipping Sparrows with streaky breasts (kids) foraging under the feeders.

   As for the flock of crossbills that graced my yard with their presence for a couple of months, they have moved on.  I took down the feeders in mid-June because I was seeing sick House Finches, plus I was going to be out of town for a couple of weeks.  Haven't seen the crossbills since.

Keep Smilin',
Kevin

Sent from my Remington Rand Typewriter via my Rotary Dial Wall Phone

KevyG...@aol.com

Jul 23, 2018, 9:01:47 PM7/23/18
to Colorado Birds
Hi Folks,
   Mea culpa.  It wasn't a Black Grosbeak in my yard (I don't think there is such a bird), it was a Black-headed Grosbeak.