Custer county --- RED PHALAROPE and...

Mark Peterson

Oct 6, 2016, 11:23:09 PM10/6/16
to Digest Recipients
Hi COBirders,

I made may way up to Lake DeWeese, just out side of Westcliffe, around midday today and it was fairly productive.  I ended up with about 60 species.  the highlight was a RED PHALAROPE at the far west end of the lake which is where virtually all of the water related birds were located.  The other shorebirds today were KILLDEER (5), LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (3), PECTORAL SANDPIPER (2), and RED-NECKED PHALAROPE (4).  An OSPREY made a pass in the afternoon right about the same time that a single SANDHILL CRANE came in and landed far to the west of the water.

While looking at and counting the ducks, two CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPURS flew over me calling.  They joined a bunch of HORNED LARKS at the west end.  The other surprise was at the far east end right near where I parked in a patch of willows.  There was a NORTHERN PARULA that seemed to be hanging out with a small flock of BUSHTITs.  There were also close to 30 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERs and at least 4 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERs.

-----
Mark Peterson
Colorado Springs