N. Mockingbird - Douglas

Hugh Kingery

Oct 25, 2016, 1:10:57 PM10/25/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com, dougl...@googlegroups.com
For the most part our October birds match previous Octobers, although maybe not in similar quantities at the feeders. The scrub oaks have a bumper crop of acorns, and the Rhus trilobata (3-leaved sumac or skunkbrush) have loads of berries. Blue Jays have shown up for the winter to gorge on juniper berries & acorns (we don't have these jays in the summer). And lots of Townsend's Solitaires to delight our ears.

We have a half dozen juncos, with some possibly meeting the profile of Cassiar's Junco. Looking at Sibley's latest tome, the distinctions between the various forms seem a bit muddled, and some that in the past we have called Pink-sided might be Slate-colored. Or Oregon. We have more studying ahead of us.

On Oct. 18, Urling spotted a Northern Mockingbird in a big bush below our house, a bush flanked by berry-laden sumacs. We also saw it on Oct. 19 and today (Oct. 25). (eBird asked for details.)

Hugh Kingery
Franktown, CO