Olive-sided Flycatcher at Brush Hollow SWA, landbird migration has begun

SeEttaM .

Aug 10, 2016, 2:12:57 AM8/10/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
I found an immature Olive-sided Flycatcher sallying after insects at Brush Hollow State Wildlife area this afternoon.  It had indistinct wing bars indicative of worn adult plumage.  I got two reasonable pics of it that I have uploaded to my Birds and Nature blog.
Otherwise birding was slow.  Landbird migration has begun.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com

colorad...@aol.com

Aug 13, 2016, 11:16:14 PM8/13/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi all:

While I typically like SeEtta's posts and blog, I have to disagree with her assessment of "landbird migration."  Chipping Sparrows have been moving for more than a month, while Yellow Warblers, Lark Buntings, Bullock's Orioles, and an additional unknown number of Colorado-breeding species (but probably including all of the so-called "monsoon migrants"; see first link, below) have been on the move for 2-3 weeks (if not longer), now.  As example, Lark Bunting does not breed in Arizona, yet migrants begin arriving -- even in southern Arizona, in late July, suggesting that migration was initiated sometime before then (see second link, below).

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1525/cond.2009.090085?journalCode=cond

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?cmd=decisionPage&speciesCodes=larbun&getLocations=states&states=US-AZ&bYear=1900&eYear=2016&bMonth=1&eMonth=12&reportType=species&parentState=US-AZ

Here's to a great, but not too great (I'm not there) fall this year!

Tony

Tony Leukering
currently Cut Bank, MT

Olive-sided Flycatcher at Brush Hollow SWA, landbird migration has begun
"SeEttaM ." <see...@gmail.com>: Aug 10 12:12AM -0600