Chukar in Broomfield 2/21 5:00 pm

Bill Blackburn

Feb 21, 2014, 7:04:23 PM2/21/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
There is currently a Chukar in the parking lot of Turquoise Mesa Winery in Broomfield. Winery is one block south of 120 th on Teller Street. When I walked away it was still feeding in a small gravel patch. Got a few phone photos that I will try to post when I get home.

Bill Blackburn
Broomfield
404 316 8609

Bill Blackburn

Feb 21, 2014, 11:13:48 PM2/21/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Just got home and the pictures are abysmal.  We were unfortunately there for the wine and only had an iPhone for a camera.  The only four photos that I could salvage are linked below.  Sorry for the poor quality.

The bird was still present in the same spot (small gravel parking space to the right/north of the winery building) when I left at six.  The one other birder I saw (sorry I didn't catch your name) said that she had seen it feeding in the parking lot of the white building to the north as well.

Hopefully it will be there tomorrow (Saturday 2/22/14) and can be relocated.  Also hopefully someone will get photos with a real camera.

Photos:
https://williamhblackburniibirding.shutterfly.com/pictures/215  Bird is on the concrete wall on the right edge of the left dumpster, facing right.  While not very visible, I believe the throat and facial pattern rule out Red-legged Partridge and Northern Bobwhite
https://williamhblackburniibirding.shutterfly.com/pictures/215#214 Against the concrete wall in front of the dumpster, facing right
https://williamhblackburniibirding.shutterfly.com/pictures/215#213 In front of the white piece of paper, facing away
https://williamhblackburniibirding.shutterfly.com/pictures/215#212 In front of the red car, running right

Sorry again for the quality

Bill Blackburn
Broomfield
404 316 8609

Barry

Feb 22, 2014, 12:07:07 PM2/22/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Bill.

This morning (9 am, too late?), I went down to the area in Broomfield where you saw the Chukar and was unable to find it. I looked around the industrial park and the nearby ballfields, but no luck.

Doesn't mean it's not there, just that I didn't see it.

- Barry Gingrich
  Broomfield, CO

Barry

Feb 23, 2014, 8:19:18 PM2/23/14
to cob...@googlegroups.com
After seeing additional reports about the Chukar, we went back this afternoon (4:45pm) and found it foraging between the two buildings there on the west side of 117th and Teller in Broomfield.

Seems like s/he is quite a way out of the usual range. Anybody have any guesses as to why we're seeing one in Broomfield?