Lillian's Meadowlarks , Mcintosh Lake , Boulder County

John D

Aug 14, 2015, 8:18:06 PM8/14/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
CO birders :

      The Eastern Meadowlarks ( Lilian's ) were seen again today , an adult and two juveniles from the Mcintosh Lake Trail somewhat more north central than the usual north western location . Spotting scopes essential . The juveniles occasionally hopped up to a post but the adult only allowed brief views walking in longer grass . The juveniles appeared to be begging for food but we saw no feeding activity by the adult . For the adult we observed the white malar and in flight 4 white outer tail feathers each side of the tail and a photo of one of a juveniles again shows the 4 white outer tail feathers ( my thoughts here the offspring might be hybrids ) . Many Western Meadowlarks were frequenting a grass meadow much further west by a hay bale .

John Drummond
Colorado Springs