Genesee Mountain - Jefferson

Hugh Kingery

Jun 20, 2015, 7:45:06 PM6/20/15
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Our Denver Audubon bird class had a very nesty morning on Genesee today.

We started by watching one nest tree with four species feeding young
(Williamson's Sapsucker, Violet-green Swallow, Pygmy Nuthatch, and Western Bluebird) (watching that took us 30 minutes); then another that had only 3 nesting in it (same species except sapsucker).

We saw a Broad-tailed Hummingbird building a nest on a ponderosa pine branch, and a Cordilleran Flycatcher singing about a nest with eggs -- planted by the Ladies Room on an outhouse. Also another Western Bluebird nest.

Especially intriguing: Brown Creepers taking grass to a nest behind the bark in a dead ponderosa,with the male singing every once in a while.

Hugh & Urling Kingery

Franktown, CO